5 Steps to a Positive Attitude & More Sales
“Your attitude today determines what your future brings.”
Do you believe you have the power to visualise and create the future you want? It sounds new-agey and very simple, but it’s harder to do, especially for salespeople and especially if you’re not a naturally positive person.
With the negativity we all face every day in the news media—people losing jobs, politicians fighting, and the various injustices around the globe—you need to learn a few tricks to turn your thinking around to what’s going to help you rather than drag you down.
There are steps you can take to cultivate a positive attitude in the face of the daily doom and gloom.
- Reframe the question. Instead of asking “what went wrong,” focus your thoughts on all of the potential solutions. You can’t think about solutions when you’re concentrating so hard on the problem, so retrain your thoughts. Since you only have one thought at a time, make it solution-focused. When you find yourself dwelling on problems, ask “what can I do right now to make a difference,” and focus on the solutions you find. It’s easy to get discouraged; the trick is to reframe it with a positive spin.
- Whip up desire. If you’re satisfied with your position in life, personally and professionally, you won’t find a reason to push yourself. On the other hand, if you can whip up some desire to improve your life, you’ll be much more likely to prevail. Especially if you write down what you want to improve on and keep it in front of you every day and night. Make it the screen saver on your smartphone. Post-it notes on your computer screen, refrigerator, and the bathroom mirror also help keep you focused and driven.
- Fake enthusiasm. You can fake enthusiasm. Seriously. And you’ll find by faking it, enthusiasm has taken hold and you’re suddenly pumped up and ready to go. Enthusiasm is also contagious. You can incite everyone around you and draw them to you like a paperclip to a magnet. Dale Carnegie said, “Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.” He also said, “If you want to be enthusiastic, act enthusiastic.”
- Find a deeper meaning. What’s your purpose as a sales professional? What nurtures your soul? When you find a deeper connection between your purpose and your passion, sparks ignite. You’ll be expressing a higher purpose in life through your accomplishments at work. Find the meaning in every action you take and associate it with your passion. That will drive your success.
- Never stop learning. Albert Einstein said, “No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” In other words, to get to the level you want, you need to make the necessary changes to get you there. The key is to leave the past behind you, and take your personal development to the next level. Whether that means listening to podcasts or CD programmes that are available or finding training courses that align with your goals, take the next step towards your future by changing your level of consciousness.
A positive attitude is critical to your success. Focus on the solution, fake a little enthusiasm, and get in the right place mentally, and you’ll be positive and cheerful most of the time. And you will reap the benefits in personal and professional success.
If you want to delve into training that focuses on solutions and positive outcomes, the experts at Natural Training can design a training course to use your natural talents and abilities to create the success you desire. Call us today!
Got a comment?
Catch us on Social Media and join the discussion!
Liked this article?
Subscribe to receive sales insights and tips directly to your inbox.